We all love coffee, and some may love espresso much more.
For customers who are in the market to purchase a semi-automatic espresso machine, the Breville BES900XL Dual Boiler Semi-Automatic Espresso Machine is a solid choice. Since it first appeared on the market, it was warmly welcomed by customers for its comparatively low price and high quality.
The unit’s temperature stability makes it stand out among competitors. And compared with products sharing similar features, the price tag is much lower.
Video Review of Breville BES900XL Dual Boiler Semi-automatic Machine
Main features of Breville BES900XL
Dual stainless steel boilers
The unit has two dedicated boilers—a 950ml steam boiler, and a 300ml espresso boiler. These are for milk texturing and espresso extraction respectively, usable simultaneously, ensuring ideal temperature for both espresso and steam. Also, two separate pumps are utilized to guarantee perfect pressure.
Convenient options allow users to control and customize the brewing process, including shot volume, shot temperature, pre-infusion duration and power, auto-start time, and audio volume.
Equipped with PID (Proportional-Integral-Derivative) technology, the electronic temperature control keeps the water temperature at around 190-205 degrees Fahrenheit (89-96 degrees Celsius), depending upon the specifics for various bean origins and roasts.
The programmable pre-infusion option allows unique flavor profiles to emerge. Auto-start makes it possible to preheat the machine at a pre-set time for added convenience.
There are three levels of audio alerts—high, low, and no volume. So users can choose the desired one dependent upon their preference.
Backlit LCD display
The display indicates shot temperature, time, and shot clock, from which users can discern the duration of the espresso extraction.
Set extraction pressure
The espresso machine is designed with an over-pressure valve (OPV), which ensures the optimum pressure during the extraction process. The effect of this is to produce espresso with a rich and aromatic crema, the hallmark of a well-extracted espresso.
Too little pressure will cause the espresso to be underdeveloped, and too much pressure will cause a bitter taste. Also, the pressure gauge monitors extraction pressure throughout the entire brewing process.
84 fluid oz. (2.5L) removable water tanks
When the water tank is completely full, the volume measures 2.5L of water. The rear integrated water filter ensures the water is completely clean and free of odors and particulates, and the water level indicator shows the current water level.
For beverages using espresso and steamed milk or froth, the timing of both is crucial for the perfect result. If the steaming process is delayed, the crema will lose its taste or dissipate. This machine ensures that both processes can happen simultaneously.
Actively heated group head
The 58mm group head with the embedded element keeps the heat stable during the extraction process. The heat exchanger (HX) also performs the same function.
Drop down swivel foot
In order to access the water reservoir more easily, the machine comes equipped with a mechanism to raise the machine for better access.
360 degree swivel wand
With a 3-hole steaming tip, the wand can swivel through the steam to make the texture silkier.
The dimensions of the coffee maker are 16” x 14.2” x 16” and the weight is about 30 lbs. The size of the machine might be a little bigger than some coffee makers, so be sure to take the dimensions into consideration to ensure it will fit into your kitchen.
What’s in the box?
With your espresso machine purchase, the manufacturer’s package will include: 2 single-wall filter baskets (a 1-cup and a 2-cup); 2 dual-wall filter baskets (a 1-cup and a 2-cup); stainless steel frothing jug; integrated tamper; water filter holder; cleaning tool and hex key; cleaning disc and tablets; and a one-year supply of water filters.
The Breville BES900XL Dual Boiler Semi-Automatic Espresso Machine comes with a standard one-year manufacturer’s limited warranty.
Check the full details and limitations of this machine’s warranty by reading the documents enclosed with your purchase, or by visiting the manufacturer’s website here.
Some customers hold the opinion that considering this model’s higher price, a three-year warranty would be more appropriate. You may wish to purchase an extended warranty to further give yourself a feeling of security.
From more than 140 customer reviews on Amazon, as of the date of this post, the Breville BES900XL Dual Boiler Semi-Automatic Espresso Machine garners 3.8 out of 5 stars and ranks #110 in Kitchen & Dining > Coffee, Tea & Espresso > Espresso Machines > Semi-Automatic Espresso Machines.
This indicates that if you want to purchase a Semi-Automatic Espresso Machine, the Breville BES900XL Dual Boiler Semi-Automatic Espresso Machine may be a good choice to meet your needs.
- Thanks to the dual boilers, the machine controls the brewing and steaming temperature simultaneously.
- Actively heated group head and the heat exchanger (HX) keep a suitable temperature during the extraction process.
- Dual pumps keep perfect pressure for both brewing and steaming.
- The coffee maker is easily raised due to the swivel foot mechanism.
- Users can choose to fill the water tank from either the top or the rear.
- It’s easy for users to know the brewing process because of the backlit LCD screen.
- By using auto-start, you can save five to ten minutes and bypass the need to preheat.
- The Breville BES900XL Dual Boiler Semi-Automatic Espresso Machine is marketed at a reasonable price compared with products having similar features.
- Some customers complain about the large size of this unit. If your kitchen is small, be sure to take careful measurements to confirm that your countertop and overall space are of an adequate size for your comfort.
- Breville recommends that its customers ship the machine to one of its appointed locations for professional, commercial de-scaling after every four to five years (after 6000 pulled shots). The charge for this service is about $100.00 (USD) each time. It is wise to take the company’s suggestion and price commitment into consideration to determine if this model will be suitable for you long-term.
Among semi-automatic coffee makers, the Breville BES900XL Dual Boiler Semi-Automatic Espresso Machine really stands out, considering both price and quality. It’s really a great semi-automatic espresso machine with a solid reputation. –>>Click Here to Read More Reviews and Newly Pricing info …